Hawk Highlight: December 6, 2021
- Monday, December 6 | EarlyAct Meeting 3:30-4:15 PM
- Tuesday, December 7 | Orchestra Concert at SHS (4th at 6:00 PM, 5th at 7:15 PM)
- Wednesday, December 8 | Wear Read for Empathy
- Wednesday, December 8 | Battle of the Books Practice 3:30-4:15 PM
- Wednesday, December 8 | Sycamore Food Pantry Open 4:30-6:00 PM
- Thursday, December 9 | Picture Retake Day
- Thursday, December 9 | 4th After School Orchestra 3:30-4:15 PM
- Friday, December 10 | BOLD Awards
- Monday, December 13 | EarlyAct Meeting 3:30-4:15 PM
- Tuesday, December 14 | Board of Education Meeting 7:00 PM
- Thursday, December 16 | BOLD and BIG BOLD Awards
- Friday, December 17 | Early Dismissal at 1:30 PM
- Friday, December 17 | Winter Parties
Picture Retakes | Thursday, December 9
Below you will find a few reminders for picture retake day.
- Picture retake day is Thursday, December 9.
- If your student is having their photo retaken, please note you must return the complete picture or digital image package on the day of retakes.
- If the package is not returned, a photo will be taken but only a proof will be sent back from the photographer.
- The online order code is: 62060EA
Vaccination Commonly Asked Questions
I have had several families reach out about vaccination questions as our students are now eligible to receive the COVID 19 vaccine. I wanted to provide the answer to some commonly asked questions.
- Is the school running a vaccination clinic?
- Not at this time. Please reach out to your primary care provider or a local pharmacy.
- If my student is fully vaccinated will they have to be excluded from school if deemed a close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID 19?
- No, a fully vaccinated student who is symptom free doesn't have to be excluded if exposed to a positive individual.
- If my student is fully vaccinated can I turn in their COVID 19 vaccination information?
- Yes, we will enter this into the students health information like all other vaccinations.
WIN (What I Need) Time
This year our district is proud to offer daily support in the areas of reading and math through WIN Time. This has been a multi-year process to implementation. We provided this presentation to our PTO a few weeks ago and it helped provide clarity on what WIN is and how it works. Please take a few minutes to watch this video.
- WIN Explanation Video
- WIN is a structured time in our day where we are being responsive to student learning.
- Groups are flexible and constantly changing based on the needs of students.
- Late start Thursdays are essential in this process. We use this time to analyze data and to move student groups. We also use this time to select our next learning standards of focus.
North Grove completed a research review as a staff a few years ago. During that time we determined that moving forward we would limit the amount of homework given to students and we would focus on the completion of nightly reading. This independent reading is an essential part of our educational process. We don’t utilize any consequences for students who don’t complete this weekly, however we do use incentives to encourage student participation. Please think about your family participation process in this weekly reading.
- Is your child(ren) reading daily after school?
- Do you complete the reading log?
- Do you discuss the process of practice and how it helps you improve a skill?
Attached is a weekly reading log for your review. You should be receiving these weekly from your classroom teacher.
Thank you for your support!
We Need Your Help!
The school district is currently facing many challenges like every organization right now. We have shortages with staffing and supplies. Please read two areas that we are looking for support and consider if you can assist with one of these two needs.
- Lunch Supervisor Position — We need someone who would be willing to work daily from 10:40 AM to 2:00 PM. The general job responsibilities are to monitor the students while they eat and assist with the student needs during this time. If this is a position that you might be interested in please contact me.
- Subs — We need both certified subs and non-certified subs. There is a pathway for anyone to get a substitute licensure through the Regional Office of Education. Again, if you are not comfortable with leading a classroom that is okay and we could use non-certified subs daily. We are short subs daily which is requiring staff to cover several areas each day. If this is something that you think you could help with please contact me for next steps.
Games are a great way to promote learning while having fun and engaging the entire family. The Math Specialists suggest the following board gamesand Eureka card games as an excellent way to reinforce math skills from home. Through games you can connect family fun and learning. The Math Specialists look forward to sharing more ideas to promote ways and incorporate math at home. Enjoy!
The district Young Author competition is a great way to encourage your child to become an author of their own story. Simply have your child write and illustrate their own book. If your child is interested in this event please have them complete their project by Friday, January 21. The top three stories from each class will be selected as classroom finalists. A building committee will then select the top two finalists per grade level as building finalists. Finally, a district committee will judge the stories and select the district winners.
The judging criteria includes originality, presentation, use of story elements and illustrations.
Classroom winners and building finalists will be presented with certificates. All Young Author participants will receive a ribbon and a pen for their participation. The district winners will receive an award at a spring Board of Education Meeting.
Elementary Orchestra Concert Information
- Date | Tuesday, December 7th
- Place | Sycamore High School Auditorium
- North and North Grove 4th Grade — 6:00 PM concert (arrive at 5:45 PM)
- Southeast, South Prairie, and West 4th Grade — 6:45 PM concert (arrive at 6:30 PM)
- ALL 5th Grade — 7:30 PM concert (arrive at 7:15 PM)
- What to bring | Instrument & book or necessary music. No music stands.
- Concert Uniform | Solid white top. Solid black pants or full-length skirt. Black socks and black shoes.
- Questions? Contact Mrs. Marberry at email@example.com
Volunteers and Visitors at Sycamore Elementary Schools
In an effort to maintain the safest learning environment possible for our students and staff we will be limiting the number of visitors and volunteers to the building at this time. As part of this commitment, we will be requiring all visitors who enter the building past the office during the school day to be vaccinated. We will also only be allowing volunteers at school activities who are vaccinated. If you are asked to be a volunteer or a visitor at our building please know that you will have to submit proof of your vaccination status to the office prior to entering the building or volunteering at the event.
Cool weather is here! As temperatures continue to drop be sure your children are dressed appropriately for the weather. When the temperature is 60° or below, all students are expected to wear a jacket. When the temperature is below 40° students should wear winter coats, hats and gloves. If students wish to play in the snow they must have on boots and snow pants.
Also, please note that students will go outside for recess unless the temperature and/or wind chill is below zero. If you need assistance with any winter gear, please contact the office.
- Late start on every Thursday
- Start Time: 9:30 AM
- Students can be dropped off starting at 9:15 AM
- Dismissal: 3:30 PM
- If you have a COVID symptom in your household, please do not send any of your students to school. Simply call the office in the morning and we will give you your options for your children to return to school.
- Remember that we have the ability to rapid test students or family members here at school in most situations. Please know that we are happy to provide that service to your family when needed.
- Please make sure your child has a well fitted mask that covers their mouth and nose throughout the day.
- Birthday Treats
- Birthdays are sweet, but we are asking that parents not send in birthday treats for the class at this time.
Important PTO Event Dates
Please consider becoming active on our North Grove PTO this year. Attached you will find a list of important dates for our PTO events. Please take a moment to enter these dates into your calendars. PTO/School Events.
Additionally, please join us for our next PTO meeting which is Monday, January 10 at 8:00 PM. We will meet in the cafeteria at North Grove and all are welcome!
Daily Self Certification
Please call the school office if your student is feeling ill, and be prepared to answer a few questions that will help us quickly and efficiently evaluate your child so that we can provide you information based on the latest recommended guidelines. It is imperative that if your student is experiencing ANY of the following symptoms, your student should stay home from school and any extracurricular activities outside the home.
- Temperature of 100.4 (or greater) degrees fahrenheit/38 degrees Celsius;
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing;
- Muscle and body aches;
- Moderate to severe headache;
- Sore throat;
- New loss of taste or smell;
- Diarrhea; or
- Any other COVID-19 symptoms identified by the CDC or IDPH.
We know that things may look a little different this year and we are committed to keeping you informed on the changes that are taking place. Here is an overview of what your student can expect if they come to the Health Office with any of the symptoms listed above:
- The student will be brought to the health office where the nurse or their designee will quickly evaluate the student’s condition.
- If it is determined that they are experiencing any COVID like symptoms the student will be escorted to a designated and supervised isolation area.
- The school Nurse will notify the parent/guardian and walk them through the process of what is required for the student to return to school.
- Sick students should be safely transported home by parent or guardian as soon as possible.
- Siblings/household members of the symptomatic student may also be sent home.
- Students will be expected to remain home from school and any extracurricular activities until cleared to return by the school nurse.
Box Tops Update
Good news! No more clipping Box Tops to participate in the Box Top Program. All you need to do is download the all new Box Tops app, shop as you normally would, and then scan your store receipts to find participating products. The app will automatically credit the earnings to North Grove online. Twice a year, North Grove’s PTO will receive a check and use that money to help our school.
If you want to purchase some North Grove spirit wear please check out our new online shop. Please use the link below to check out all of our new products. Delivery usually takes about a week.
Spartan Food Pantry Open Wednesday, December 8!
The Spartan Food Pantry is excited to welcome guests to shop every other week on Wednesdays. On Wednesday, December 8 patrons can collect food at the District Warehouse on 520 N. Maple Street, Sycamore. Pantry patrons are in-person shopping! Please bring a mask. The pantry hours are 4:30-6:00 PM. The Pantry is open to any family that has a student attending a Sycamore School.
The pantry offers frozen foods, fresh produce, cereal, canned goods, snacks, treats, and much more. Sycamore School District families can come to the pantry every time it is open. Park in the lot next to the warehouse, come on in the front door, and a volunteer will guide you from there.
Community members can now volunteer at the pantry! If you or your organization want to help out, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Twitter and Facebook
Follow North Grove on Twitter for updates, videos and pictures of events taking place at school. Search NorthGrove1 on Twitter to find us. You can also find our North Grove PTO page on Facebook by friending North Grove PTO.