Monday, May 31
No School- Memorial Day
Tuesday, June 1
- Device Turn In Day
- Charging Cord
- Charged to 80% minimally
- Field Day
- 3-5- AM and K-2- PM
- Yearbook Handout Day
- Charlotte's Web Movie Night at SHS 6:00 PM
Wednesday, June 2
- Field Day (Rain Date)
- Incoming Kindergarten Readiness Kit Distribution 3:00-5:00 PM
Thursday, June 3
- Last Day of In Person School
- 5th Grade Awards Day 9:30 AM
- Live stream will be available for this event.
- 5th Grade Clap Out at 2:20 PM
Friday, June 4
- Remote Supply Pick Up and Drop Off
- No Delivery Service
- Report Cards Posted in Campus Portal
- Last Day of Registration for 2021-2022 School Year
- Summer Instructional Ideas Posted in Google Classroom
Thank you and Next School Year!
As we prepare for the final week of the school year I wanted to say thank you to all of our families. This year was an extremely challenging year in all aspects. COVID impacted the health of our community, it impacted the way we socialized, shopped, communicated, and learned. I will take away many lessons from this year and there were some silver linings. I am however very excited about next school year and the return of many things that we used to call “normal”. Last week we finished up our Data Days at the building level. I am very pleased to share that we identified some areas for growth and several areas for celebration. Our overall MAP Data of students performing above achievement bands has never been higher. It was surprising to see the highest scores we have ever reached at North Grove this year. However, our focused curriculum and the work that our teacher teams did this year paid off. I am so proud of the work our staff has done!
Below you will find a short list of school items that have been finalized over the past few weeks. We have moved forward with several positive changes for our learners and our district. If you have any questions about these topics or others, please let me know.
Thank you for your continued support this school year. Thank you for your role as educators in the home. Thank you for your patience and grace as we all learned how to live and learn during a global pandemic. Enjoy the summer and know that we will be here and ready in the fall!
What we Know for Next Year
- School will return to five days a week.
- We will have full days.
- Start Time: 8:45 AM
- Dismissal: 3:30 PM
- OSCAR will return for families for both AM and PM support.
- Specials will return and be taught in person to all students.
- The district is adding a late start of 45 minutes on Thursdays district wide.
- This has been a practice at the high school for years. It will be a great addition for the rest of our district as we will be able to have our grade level team meetings without the use of subs and provide a consistent opportunity for teaming for all staff members. This aspect of collaboration has led to some very positive changes for our district over the past 7 years.
- Math Interventionists and Intervention Block
- Each elementary school will be hiring a Math Interventionist and we will be implementing an Intervention Block each day. This will further support student learning at all levels.
- Masking and Social Distancing
- We will provide more updates on this aspect of our school as recommendations are updated during the summer.
Charlotte’s Web Movie Night- Tuesday, June 1 at 6:00-8:00 PM
We will be having a special outdoor movie showing of Charlotte's Web for each elementary school on the Sycamore High School football field!
- Masks and social distancing will be required.
- Please bring your own blankets to sit on
- NO CHAIRS are allowed on the football field.
- Refreshments will be available for purchase through the concessions stand or families can bring their own.
Socially distanced pods will be painted on the field for families to reserve in advance of the event. Please visit the Sycamore Tickets website to reserve your family's pod.
Families will be required to remain in their pod throughout the movie. Under current guidance, all attendees are required to remain fully masked while on school property.
Each pod will be allowed to hold up to eight people, and everyone in the pod must arrive together. Families will be limited to reserve one pod. When processing your order, you will select the pod you would like to sit in for the movie.
If you have any questions, please contact the Sycamore Tickets Office firstname.lastname@example.org.
Report Cards and Student Assessment Data
On Friday of this week student report cards will be posted to your Campus Portal accounts. If you need assistance accessing your Campus Portal account please email the district help desk at email@example.com and they will assist you. Progress reports are located under the document tab of Campus Portal.
Additionally, this week we will send home student data reports from MAP testing (Grades 1-5) and ISEL testing (kindergarten). Please look for these paper copies later this week.
District assigned devices (Chromebooks / iPads) will be collected from in-person learners the morning of Tuesday, June 1. We are asking that remote learners return their device the week of June 1. Remote families may drop the device(s) and accessories off at the main office at the times listed below:
- Tuesday, June 1st- 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM
- Wednesday, June 2- 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM
- Thursday, June 3- 8:30 AM to Noon
If you are able to wipe down the outside of your device prior to drop off, that would be helpful. If your remote student has access to an alternate device, your timely return of the district assigned device is greatly appreciated, as it will allow staff to clean it, check for needed repairs, and update inventory so that the devices can be prepared for use in the fall. If you don’t have access to an alternative device please return your device on Thursday, June 3.
Please make sure that each student returns:
- Assigned Chromebook or iPad
- Case / bag
- The device should be charged to at least 80%.
Field Day and Other Special Events
We are excited to offer all of our special events at the end of the year, including Field Day. If you are a remote student and you wish to join us for one of our special events, please notify your classroom teacher. Once you have a self-certification form on file you are welcome to celebrate the end of the year at NG.
If you are coming to the school for a special event, including Field Day, you must report to the building in the office to check in and out. At this time parents are still not allowed at building activities during school hours, but we are hopeful that this will change for next year. Field Day will be much more challenging for our staff without you! To accommodate the loss of our volunteers we will split Field Day into two sessions.
- Session 1 AM- 3-5
- Session 2 PM- K-2
North Grove Groove 5K Top Times
Thank you to everyone who participated in the North Grove Groove 5K. We wanted to post the top student times from North Grove. Keep running everyone!
- Alec Eifel 22:34
- Miles Doty 24:07
- Callum Swan 24:37
- Cal Ackmann 29:42
- Asher Johnson 30:07
- Leah Heitzig 31:00
- Kamden Johnson 31:07
- Hailey Knull 33:59
- Grady Janisch 34:08
- Layna Berry 34:44
Student registration for the 2021-2022 school year is now open. For instructions on how to complete this process, please proceed to the Sycamore District website at www.syc427.org. On the homepage of the website, you will find the word Resources. Please click on this tab and then click on Online Registration under the References column. This will take you to the instructions for how to complete the registration. All registration is due by Friday, June 4.
If you have an incoming kindergarten student for the 2021-2022 school year please contact the district office at 815-899-8100 and ask for Lori Stover. She will lead you through the kindergarten registration process.
Kindergarten Information for 21-22
We are excited about the upcoming 2021-22 school year! We would like to provide information to begin the transition into Kindergarten. We know that parents and families have a very important role as their child’s first teacher. We also know that children learn in different ways and at different rates. Each child comes to school with varying skills. Please take a moment to read the information below and let me know if you have any questions.
Kindergarten Assessment Checklist
As we begin to make class rosters, it is important that we create the optimum learning environment for our students. To help us with this process please complete the Kindergarten Readiness Checklist (Link). Please complete this checklist and return it in the format that works best for you.
- Print it and return it at the Kindergarten Readiness Kit pickup day
- (Wednesday, June 2 from 3:00 to 5:00 PM)
- Print it and scan it to me at RJanisch@syc427.org
- If none of these options work, you can pick up the Checklist at the Kindergarten Readiness Kit pickup.
Kindergarten Readiness Kits
The DeKalb County Community Foundation provided a Kindergarten Readiness Kit for all incoming students throughout DeKalb County. These kits are FREE to all families that have registered for kindergarten. The kits include: Play-Doh, scissors, white board, dry erase marker, 2 dice, crayons, sidewalk chalk, and other fun items.
Kindergarten Readiness Kit Distribution - Classroom Visit
On Wednesday, June 2nd from 3:00 to 5:00 PM we will be handing out the Kindergarten Readiness Kits. Please come to the school and visit a kindergarten classroom and pick up your kit.
Later this summer you will receive additional information about Kindergarten Transition. That includes our back to school schedule of events. We look forward to meeting all of the new kindergarten students!
End of the Year Events
Below you will find the list of our end of the year events. Please note that due to our current safety precautions, no spectators will be allowed at our end of the year events. All 5th grade parents are encouraged to attend the clap out on Thursday, June 3 at 2:20 PM.
- Tuesday, June 1
- Field Day for Grades K-5
- Wednesday, June 2
- Field Day Rain Date for Grades K-5
- Thursday, June 3
- Last Day of In-Person Attendance
- Awards Day (Live Stream Available to 5th Grade Parents)
- 5th Grade Clap Out at the End of the Day 2:20 PM
- Friday, June 4
- No Live Meetings
- Teachers will Post Summer Academic Options
Summer Reading Program
We hope you can join us for the North Grove Summer Reading Program. Our staff hosts this program in the North Grove Library. Students earn prizes for their reading minutes and we will have games/activities at each reading check in day. Please see the list of dates and times below.Summer Reading Program Log
- Thursday, June 17- 10:00-11:00 AM
- Thursday, August 12- 10:00-11:00 AM
5th Grade Band Recruitment
If you were thinking about having your child play a band instrument, but were worried about our school situation this past year, it's not too late! We are looking to get some more students started on band instruments over the summer. We are especially looking for students to play the following instruments: flute, oboe, clarinet, trumpet, french horn, trombone, and baritone.The summer can be a great time for students to start--they typically have time to practice and grow on their instruments, and they would have an opportunity to be successful in 6th Grade Band next fall.
If you are interested in getting your child started on a band instrument this summer, please fill out a short form here (https://forms.gle/1vHkEFm4JatTq4TN7), and Mr. Mertens or Mr. Goodman will contact you. Students would need an instrument, a method book (Standard of Excellence, Book 1), and a music stand, all of which are available through Ellman's Music (www.ellmansmusic.com, 630-355-5880).
Daily Self Certification
Please call the school office if your student is feeling ill, and be prepared to answer a few questions that will help us quickly and efficiently evaluate your child so that we can provide you information based on the latest recommended guidelines. It is imperative that if your student is experiencing ANY of the following symptoms or if someone in the household is experiencing any of the following symptoms, they remain home from school and any extracurricular activities outside the home.
- Fever or chills
- Moderate to Severe Headache
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Abdominal pain
- Congestion/runny nose
- Loss of sense of taste or smell
- Muscle or body aches
We know that things may look a little different this year and we are committed to keeping you informed on the changes that are taking place. Here is an overview of what your student can expect if they come to the Health Office with any of the symptoms listed above:
- The student will be brought to the health office where the nurse or their designee will quickly evaluate the student’s condition.
- If it is determined that they are experiencing any COVID like symptoms the student will be escorted to a designated and supervised isolation area.
- The school Nurse will notify the parent/guardian and walk them through the process of what is required for the student to return to school.
- Sick students should be safely transported home by parent or guardian as soon as possible.
- Other household members of the student will be sent home as well.
- Students will be expected to remain home from school and any extracurricular activities until cleared to return by the school nurse.
Spirit Wear *New*
North Grove has a new online spirit wear shop. Please use the link below to check out all of our new products.
In-Person Learning Reminders
- Drop off time is 8:45-9:00 AM
- Tardy bell will ring at 9:05 AM
- Dismissal will begin at 2:05 PM with the first students exiting the building at 2:10 PM
- All students should wear a well fitted mask to school each day
- All students should bring a water bottle to school each day
- Drinking fountains are turned off
- The building is closed to all visitors at this time
- We are not dispersing birthday treats at this time. You may send in a goodie bag for all students 72 hours prior to the day we would be sending them home.
- Remote students will have a learning pod from 2:30-2:45 PM Monday through Thursday
- It will be essential that all students working from home attend our live teaching sessions once we begin our in person learning. Please note that these live learning times indicate start times, but not end times. The teachers will get to decide how long they need to keep the students for based on each individual lesson and activity.
- Remote Supply pick up will be weekly on Fridays from 9:00 to 11:30 AM. You will enter through the front doors and exit through the far cafeteria doors (E-5).
- It will be imperative that all families complete the daily self certification process which includes a daily temperature check.
- All students should wear a well fitting mask that securely covers their mouth and nose. Vented masks are not allowed and gaiter style masks must be double layered.
Twitter and Facebook
Follow North Grove on Twitter for updates, videos and pictures of events taking place at school. Search NorthGrove1 on Twitter to find us. You can also find our North Grove PTO page on Facebook by friending North Grove PTO.
Take Care Hawks!
Principal, North Grove